Next, I visited 6 different Google services, in a row, 3 times. Gmail, Adsense, Analytics, Google Plus, YouTube, Drive and Google Music. No errors yet, but this this is definitely not enough data to base any wild claims on.
Now that I’m back in Chrome, let’s try the same thing. Nothing unusual here. I haven’t changed my user string to anything other than the default and I haven’t even signed into Google Chrome. I visited the same 7 Google services 3 times in a row and didn’t get any errors at all. Now, let’s try and actually prove something.
I installed User-Agent Switcher for Chrome and added my user-agent-string from Firefox.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:12.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/12.0
I tested it to make sure it was reporting properly at whatsmyuseragent.com. Sure enough, whatsmyuseragent reports that my browser is properly reporting the Firefox user agent string.
I ran into trouble immediately.
Gmail refuses to load! i refresh the page several time, but I never actually get anywhere. Let’s keep going. My next error happens when trying to access Google Adsense.
ERROR: Possible problem with your *.gwt.xml module file. The compile time user.agent value (gecko 1_8) does not match the runtime user.agent vaule (safari). Expect more errors.
Now I will be fair here. This error is crystal clear. It seems that Google services such as Adsense are able to detect that it is indeed being accessed from Chrome, regardless of the user agent being broadcast. I will say that the “expect more errors” is a little harsh though…
My troubles persisted. I opened up 4 tabs and ran a Google search for “anything”. Each time I was greeted with a fully loaded blank white screen. Given the nature of the error above, it will be difficult to prove anything from the Chrome side of the fence. However, one thing is still glaringly clear…
Firefox now works perfectly with a Google Chrome user agent string.