From a cube-shaped planet far from earth…
From the deepest darkest corner of the deepest darkest dungeon of Bizarro World, Bryan Lunduke releases Linux Tycoon, his closed-source game about an open source operating system for a closed source operating system no one uses. That’s right, you thought today’s earlier headlines were a pump-fake-pass for April Fool’s Day, but this takes things one step further. Linux Tycoon, the “premier Linux Distro Building Simulator game in the universe”, is now available for DOS.
Please, enjoy this romantic trailer-thingy.
[youtube id="I9fVu-4gOFE" width="600" height="350"]
Features & bullet-points
- For the DOS version I went with the most “DOS Looking” visual style I could find. Because… why not?
- The DOS version is being used as a test-bed for new features and game-play ideas for the game. Which means that it is both “the most cutting edge” (how many times do you hear a DOS app called “cutting edge”?) as well as, almost certainly, a bit buggier than the Linux, Windows or Mac native versions.
- It is “Pay What You Like“. Which is always nice. Plus you get the Mac/Win/Linux versions with it (along with all my other software).
- If Linux Tycoon were in a box, on a computer store shelf in 1988, the “System Requirements” would read as follows: “I don’t know. Not a lot. DOS, I guess.”
- There is no DRM and Linux Tycoon requires no internet connection to play. Let’s see the makers of the latest Sim City beat that.
Oh, and in case you were wondering, here is Wikipedia’s explanation of Bizarro World:
The Bizarro World (also known as Htrae) is a fictional planet in the DC comics universe. Introduced in the early 1960s, Htrae is a cube-shaped planet, home toBizarro and his companions, all of whom were initially Bizarro versions of Superman, Lois Lane and their children. Later, other Bizarros were created to add to the population including Wonderzarro, Bizarro Flash, “the Yellow Lantern“, Bizarro-Kltpzyxm and Batzarro, the World’s Worst Detective.
Only in Bizarro World… Can’t you see the Bizarro version of yourself paying & playing for this game right now?