Like clockwork, another version of Ubuntu is on the horizon. And just like previous releases, there is a wallpaper contest attached to it allowing lovers of the open source operating system to put their photographic and artistic skills to the test. At Ubuntu, branding is a big deal, and Saucy Salamander is no exception. Prospects must consider the ambiance and radiance themes when composing their image, among many other guidelines. Here are some guidelines taken from the Ubuntu Wiki:
This list is incomplete: For complete guidelines, please visit the Ubuntu Wiki topic on this matter here.
- Your image should strive for subtlety and poetry.
- Avoid high frequency images. ( A soft focus is one way to achieve this )
- Design must accommodate the Unity dock.
- No brand names or trademarks of any kind.
- No sexually explicit or provocative images.
- No religious, political, or nationalist imagery.
- The final dimension should be 2560 x 1600 pixels.
- Submissions must adhere to the Creative Commons ShareAlike 3.0 license.
- Attribution must be declared if the submission is based on another design.
How long do I have?
Potential entrants have until August 16th to enter, leaving just over a month to compose a masterpiece. Are you up to the challenge? If so, you may enter by submitting your photo or illustration to Ubuntu’s public Flckr pool.
Via OMGUbuntu, here is a list of previous winners. As they’ve suggested in their article, you might use these as inspiration for your own artwork.