While browsing a popular computer retailer in Ireland, Jonathon Riddell (the big boss man over at Kubuntu) found a few rather compelling deals, all running the distro we all know him for. The retailer is Adverts.ie, and they are selling more than one model for HP laptop pre-loaded with the trusty (no pun intended) operating system. Here is what they have on offer!
HP ProBook 6550b Laptop
Price: €300 ($508.43 US)
- Intel Core i5-450M Processor (2.40 GHz, 35W, 3 MB L3 cache)
- Mobile Intel QM57 Graphics
- ATI Mobility Radeon HD 540v with 512 MB dedicated video memory
- 15.6-inch LED Display (1600 x 900)
- DisplayPort output
- 4 GB DDR3 (Upgradeable to 8 GB)
The AMD switchable graphics in this one is a big turn-off for me, but then again I’ve never used this particular configuration so it may run great!
HP Compaq 6510b Business Laptop
Price: €140 ($237.27)
- Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7300 (2.00 GHz, 4 MB L2 cache, 800 MHz FSB)
- Mobile Intel GM965 Graphics
- 14.1-inch display (1280 x 800 resolution)
- 3 GB DDR2 SDRAM (667 MHz) (upgraded from native 1 GB)
This one is a bit more modest, but that seems to be reflected in the price.
After browsing the site a little further, I was able to find a couple of other laptop (Samsung, Acer) pre-loaded with standard Ubuntu. We’re not really sure how they choose which OS to load on each laptop, but this is certainly the first time I’ve ever seen a laptop advertised with Kubuntu on it.
Are these good values? Are they worth it? How do they compare to the prices you would expect in Ireland or the UK? Sound off in the comments.
Source | Adverts.ie
Via | Kubuntu Wire